By Kristina, May 31st, 2010
Looking for some great ideas for exploring our beautiful area? Here are 20 suggestions to get you started:
- Art Studios & Galleries – there are over 100 talented artists who live in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows and they produce wonderful works in a variety of different mediums.
- Bird Watching – one of the fastest growing activities in North America. One of the best bird watching destinations in BC is right in our backyard at the Pitt Addington Marsh and Grant Narrows Regional Park.
- Camping – an inexpensive way to spend more than one day in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows. Golden Ears Park is the largest provincial campground in BC and is situated close to almost every activity!
- Canoeing & Kayaking – opportunities abound along the largest freshwater marsh in southwestern BC. Rentals are available at Ayla Canoes located at the mouth of Pitt Lake and at Rocky Mountain Boat Rentals located at Alouette Lake.
- Cycling – enjoy our extensive trail system along the dykes and through numerous parks, every ride is a new adventure!
- Festivals and Events – we host an array of activities throughout the year, join us this Saturday for the Pitt Meadows Day Parade and plan to stay the entire day!
- Fishing – there’s year-round trout fishing at Pitt Lake and excellent salmon and sturgeon fishing in the Fraser River, not to mention the cutthroat and Dolly Varden in Alouette Lake.
- Golden Ears Provincial Park - this majestic park is the gateway to the 5000ft high Golden Ears Mountain, which is full of challenging trails. There are heaps of activities awaiting the non-hikers, such as swimming, fishing, boating and horseback riding.
- Golfing – we’ve got numerous courses ranging from beginner to pro!
- Haney House – experience our history at this century-old homestead of one of the founding families of Maple Ridge.
- Hiking – Golden Ears, Grant Narrows and Kanaka Creek parks along with the UBC Research Forest provide some of the best hiking trails around.
- Horseback Riding – our area is an equestrian lovers paradise and you’ll discover why as you explore our many beautiful trails amidst pristine natural surroundings.
- Meadows Maze – ‘ear’resistable family fun which will provide hours of entertainment during the summer months.
- Pitt Lake – the largest freshwater tidal lake in North America, great for boating, fishing and even bird watching!
- Pitt Meadows Airport – home to flight schools, charter air services and skydiving! Participate, or come for lunch and watch the action!
- Pitt Meadows Museum – this quaint heritage house holds the secrets to the history of Pitt Meadows…just waiting for you to discover!
- Skydiving – if you’re feeling adventurous, why not jumpstart your day from an airplane with Pacific Skydivers.
- Swimming – we’ve got indoor and outdoor pools as well as great lakes and creeks. Hours of fun for the whole family!
- UBC Research Forest – this working forest, comprised of over 5000 hectares of unspoiled wilderness, provides a great place for walking and hiking.
- Walking – a perfect way to marvel at the spectacular scenic surroundings that Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows have to offer. Whether you enjoy strolling and visiting the eclectic collection of boutiques in downtown Maple Ridge or a relaxing walk along the dykes, we’re sure you’ll find something that fits you to a ‘T’!
Got some more great idea? Be sure to leave a comment so others can enjoy as well!