Tourism is both an important and growing industry within British Columbia. Comprised of three main sectors – transportation, accommodation and attractions – tourism focuses on attracting visitors to the province, then meeting their needs and expectations while here. Government agencies, industry associations and retail and wholesale businesses are also integral to tourism.
Many things differ from a typical retail or service operation when developing a tourism business:
• The market is less readily defined, as it is subject to changing trends, the influence of high- and low- demand seasons and to varying consumer expectations
• The product is diverse, ranging from the development of a hotel to the marketing of ocean-kayaking adventure trips
• The scale is equally diverse, ranging from a one-person boat rental outfit to a resort with 500 employees
• The industry is resource dependent, with the overall management and retention of BC’s natural resources of utmost importance to the long-term viability of the tourism sector
• Many developments take place in less accessible and populated areas to take advantage of BC’s spectacular locations; a developer must often assess unusual access or servicing requirements
Do you have a great idea that would appeal to our tourists? Are you willing to take your farm gate sales to the next level?
Tourism Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows has put together information to assist you with your tourism business. Please visit our Industry page for information and resources.