Volunteer Opportunities At The Visitor Centre
By Kristina, June 16th, 2010
The Visitor Centre welcomes visitors and locals to the communities of Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge, assisting visitors with information on things to see and do locally as well as throughout the Province of British Columbia; ensuring visitors enjoy the best possible experience while in our communities.
Tourism Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows is seeking people to volunteer at the Visitor Centre. This is an ideal opportunity for people who have recently retired and would like to give their time in a fun and exciting environment. We are looking for people with computer experience to commit to 4 hours per week in the visitor centre and at community events.
Absolutely no experience necessary! All you need is a friendly and outgoing personality, curiosity and a sense of adventure! We will provide you with the training required to become a certified travel counselor, with a certificate after completing 40 hours of work. Ongoing incentives include free admission to local attractions and Familiarization tours.
Why volunteer with Tourism Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows?
• Welcome and interact with visitors from around the world
• Share your passion for the community you live in
• Enjoy being part of an exciting organization and industry
• Give back to your community
• Gain further experiences and knowledge about Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and British Columbia
• Expect realistic volunteer hours requirement leaving you time for other activities
• Have an experience of a lifetime and be part of the legacy
• Tourism Visitor Counselor training
• Access the local sights by way of familiarization tours and the Tourism Challenge Passport Program
• Attend volunteer appreciation events and functions
Volunteer Program overview
The role of the Volunteer Program is to provide service in assisting visitors with their travel needs as well as assisting staff where necessary. The volunteers play an essential role in maintaining a high level of quality service & sales delivered to both visitors and tourism providers.
General Qualifications of Volunteers
Volunteer recruiting for Tourism Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows is selective. Candidates must complete an application form, followed by a personal interview to determine their professionalism, enthusiasm, availability, commitment and interest in promoting the City of Pitt Meadows and the District of Maple Ridge.
The volunteer roles require the following qualifications:
• Ability to communicate fluently in English, second language a definite asset;
• Enjoy meeting people and interacting with other cultures;
• Excellent knowledge of Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridges and British Columbia;
• Good interpersonal & sales skills, engaged, enthusiastic, and friendly;
• Comfortable volunteering in a busy, energetic, fun environment;
• A commitment to completing the initial and on-going training programs;
• Valid e-mail address and access to the internet as electronic communication is used to pass on important information updates and schedules;